I think I can safely speak for many new moms when I say how overwhelming it is to start preparing your home for a baby. There are so many items you need, and if you are like me, you have no idea where to start! Obviously, there are the essentials, but there are a few items we received or purchased that I didn’t think we would need, and they are now my favorite things! As I have come to discover, every baby is very different. An item my sisters’ babies loved, Oliver didn’t. An item Oliver loved, my sisters never used. It just all depends on what works best for you and your tyke.
- Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Miracle Brett was super excited about carrying Oliver in a front pack. To me, it looked terrifying. What if I didn’t get him in there right and he fell out or I suffocate him? I was hesitant to try it. But after a few weeks at home, I was wanting to get a few things done around the house and possibly walk on the treadmill for a while. I pulled out the baby carrier, strapped it on and gently placed my baby in it. He loved it! After about 10 minutes of wearing it, he usually would fall asleep. I wore it around the house, on walks and even for an easy hike near our house.
- Baby Brezza Formula Pro One Step Bottle Maker – For anyone who gives their baby formula, this is a lifesaver. When our little guy is hungry, he is ready for dinner right now, and he will let you know that. This nifty device makes a bottle with the perfect amount and temperature in less than 30 seconds. And it’s wonderful for parents waking up for feedings at 4 a.m. It’s a little pricey, but definitely worth the expense.
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Take Along Swing and Seat – When we registered for baby items, I received a lot of advice about what other moms loved and loathed. Many suggested getting a bouncy chair over the swing, but every baby has their personal preference. When Oliver was a newborn, he didn’t like the bouncy chair we received. He would sit in it for a few minutes before he started to get upset. Brett bought this swing, thinking he might like it better. Place him in the swing, and he usually stays conked out for a couple hours. Hallelujah! Oliver’s daycare has a swing that is similar to this that he naps in frequently – we’re talking three-hour naps! The kid loves swinging. 🙂
- Eddie Bauer Slumber & Soothe Infant Baby Newborn Rocker Sleeper – My sister recommended we get a rock ‘n play for the baby to sleep in for the first few months of life. If Oliver is sleeping, he is usually either in a rock ‘n play or a swing (both at home and at daycare). I love this particular choice because it’s gender neutral (for future little ones), you can easily clean the pad the baby lies on by just throwing it in the wash and it vibrates!
- Cloth diapers as burp cloths. My mom suggested this to me before we had Oliver, and I thought it sounded weird. I went ahead and bought cute, patterned burp cloths. We didn’t have quite enough, so I decided to try cloth diapers, too. As far as burp cloths go, they are our favorite. They are wider than the burp cloths and are super absorbent. Always listen to Mom!
- Fisher Price 4-in-1 Sling N Seat Tub. I swear I registered for three different tubs before finally getting this one. And it was the right choice for us! The sling for newborns is wonderful, so they can lay in the tub without flopping over or sinking into the water. It also adapts as your baby grows so they can lay in the tub and sit in the seat. We love it.
These are just a few of the items that we loved for our newborn, and many of the items we continue to use for our four-month-old. What are items you couldn’t live without when parenting a newborn?
* I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.