A weekend of self-indulgence

2016 has been welcomed with open arms in our house. Don’t get me wrong, 2015 wasn’t too shabby. But knowing that we are going to welcome home our son this year, it’s hard not to view 2016 as probably the best year ever. šŸ™‚

I’m overflowing with happiness and excitement knowing that next month is when our little boy is set to arrive. I’m also really nervous. Not only am I going to be a mom and responsible for this tiny human, but I know our lives are going to change in a big, big way. I try to imagine what it will be like when another person takes up residence in our home, but it’s still hard to envision. I do know that what I consider a normal, leisurely weekend might be pretty different in the near future, so I took full advantage of my three-day weekend over the holiday by enjoying every little blissful moment.

new year

In our pajamas, ready for a low-key New Year’s Eve. šŸ™‚

On New Year’s Eve, Brett and I ordered Domino’s and settled in for a “Star Wars” marathon. We popped open a bottle of sparkling cider and toasted to the new year. We didn’t last very long after our toast, and wound up only watching “Star Wars: A New Hope.” We were in bed by 10 p.m., and I snuggled up next to my sleeping husband to read a book.

Days off together have been few and far between for Brett and I during the holiday season, so when we both got New Year’s Day off, we had big plans. Plans to do absolutely nothing. I grabbed us coffee from Starbucks. Brett played video games while I did a little cleaning around the house and watched TV. One of the final pieces of Oliver’s nursery, a La-Z-Boy chair, was delivered in the morning, and we eagerly set it up and tried it out. His room is looking more and more complete!


We spent the afternoon watching “The Office” on Netflix and making a quick grocery store run. Brett made crab alfredo and shrimp scampi for supper. It was so yummy! He was in bed pretty early, and I had every intention of calling it a night early, too. But then I saw there was a “Sex and the City” marathon on TV. I couldn’t resist.

I slept in Saturday morning, FaceTimed with my mom, played with our dogs and watched a movie I had been wanting to see, “The Longest Ride.” I finally dragged myself off the couch to have lunch with Brett. After lunch, I had my hair cut and styled, and took my time strolling through Target. As always, my cart was loaded with needed items and not-so-needed-but-definitely-necessary items. Those “necessary” purchases included a new robe for me (I thought it might come in handy while I’m in the hospital with Oliver), a few Valentine’s Day decorations and washcloths for Oliver that were super cute and on clearance. šŸ˜‰


These decorations may not involve pink and red hearts, but they are sparkly and were only $3. šŸ™‚

Once Brett was off work, we grabbed Starbucks and roamed around Hobby Lobby. I was hoping to find some more Valentine’s Day decor to replace our Christmas decorations, but they didn’t really have what I was looking for. We debated for a while on what to have for supper and settled on grabbing our favorite fast food, Qdoba.

Earlier that day, Brett bought me ME! Bath Lavender Lullaby Mini Bath Ice Cream to use in the bathtub. I have been pretty lucky so far to not have any major aches and pains through pregnancy, but the last few days I have been pretty uncomfortable when laying down or walking around. A bath sounded heavenly! After Brett went to bed, I dropped a bath ball in the tub, grabbed a book and took a long, luxurious bath. I like bubble baths, but it was nice to avoid all the suds and just soak in warm, soothing water that smelled divine.

I planned to go to bed early, but I started watching “The Boy Next Door,” with Jennifer Lopez, and I had to find out what happened. It was pretty ridiculous, but it was a fun way to end the night.

Sunday was another wonderful morning of sleeping in, playing with our dogs and getting a few chores done around the house.


Pippin is always finding ways to be entertaining. šŸ™‚

I had lunch with Brett and then met up with a friend who I hadn’t seen in a long time to catch up. We chatted for over two hours, and I headed home afterward to hang out with Brett. We lounged around together before he left to meet a friend for dinner. I took a long hot shower, made myself a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner and finished up writing thank you notes for our baby shower. Once Brett came home, we were in bed by 9 p.m. I laid in bed reading some passages from the Bible before I called it a night at 9:30 p.m.

While I didn’t do anything too remarkable or exciting this weekend, it was wonderful to be home, to relax and indulge. I’m hoping I can squeeze in at least one more weekend like this before the little guy arrives. šŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s