Brett and I probably watch more movies and television shows that are good for us, but I like to think we have a healthy balance of adding other fun things in the mix! Movies and TV shows have always been something we love to indulge in together, and there is nothing quite like escaping the summer heat than watching a movie in theaters. We have managed to squeeze in quite a few movie viewings already this summer. Here is what I thought of the movies we saw in the past month:
- “Tomorrowland.” I thought this movie had a really interesting premise, and you can’t help but like it’s heroine played by Britt Robertson. There was a lot of lead-up before actually getting to the mysterious Tomorrowland, and I started to get a little impatient with the pace of the film. I was ready for some fun, sci-fi/fantasy action. There was some, but the story fell flat. I would recommend waiting to watch this at home.
- “Spy.” I was so, so excited for this move. I absolutely loved Melissa McCarthy in “Bridesmaids,” “The Heat” and even “Tammy.” “Spy” is probably the funniest movie I have seen since “Bridesmaids.” The most surprising aspect of it was the incredibly hilarious Jason Statham. I was laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes. Don’t miss this!
- “Jurassic World.” The original “Jurassic Park” was a staple part of my childhood. I remember watching it over and over with my dad. I had pretty high expectations for this one. The action was amazing, and the dinosaurs did not disappoint. I wasn’t crazy about the side-plot going on where they tried to create a human villain with some weird ambitions, but it wasn’t distracting enough to ruin the movie. Great action movie for 2015!
- “Inside Out.” This is probably one of the movies I was most looking forward to this summer. I absolutely adore Mindy Kaling and Amy Poehler, and the concept of this film is brilliant. You don’t have to be a kid to love this movie. Anyone can relate to what Riley is going through, and the voices inside her head are hilarious and heartbreaking. Make sure to see this before summer is over! It’s a must-see. 🙂
- “Terminator Genisys.” I have seen bits and pieces of the original Terminator movies. I liked “Terminator Salvation,” and I was excited to see that Emilia Clarke (Daenerys in “Game of Thrones”) and Matt Smith (“Doctor Who”) were going to be in this version. While it’s not getting the best reviews right now, I really enjoyed this movie. It had intense action sequences and the occasional comedic moment tossed in. It’s a fun time at the movies.
Two movies that I wanted to see this summer but I’m now going to wait until they are on Netlix or HBO are “Hot Pursuit” and “Aloha.” They got some pretty scathing reviews. Normally, I try to not let that deter me, but it’s hard to plunk down $20 to see a movie that the mass majority are tearing to bits.
What movies have you loved or hated this summer?