I have been wanting to find ways to give back for a while now. I have done a little research into volunteer opportunities, but the ones I am interested in seem to have volunteer times when I’m working. I know the right opportunity is out there, I just need to find it.
Until then, I have found other small ways to pay it forward. I have seen blog posts about random acts of kindness and finding ways to bring a little cheer into people’s lives. Along with that, I have had people I hardly know or don’t know at all do incredibly kind things for me. It has inspired me to pass on the love. Each week, I’m hoping to perform at least one random act of kindness.
Before Christmas, I had gone through our coat closet and found about six coats we no longer need. They were in great shape. While, I normally donate items to Goodwill, I really wanted these to be given to someone who was in desperate need. After doing some research online, I discovered the Central Wyoming Rescue Mission. Their mission statement is: “The Central Wyoming Rescue Mission rescues and reconciles the homeless and needy with the love of Christ restoring them back to society as healthy, productive, independent community members.” I decided to donate the coats to CWRM, but I wanted to do a bit more.
Their website listed a variety of ways to help out including donating items they needed for their cause. I purchased a few of the items on the list and donated them to the shelter. It was simple, and I know it will be put to good use.
Here are some ideas I hope to put into action within the next few weeks:
- Purchase Starbucks for the person behind me in line.
- Send a letter/card to a loved one to brighten their day.
- Donate blood.
- Bring in treats/snacks for my coworkers.
- Donate items that can be reused by someone else i.e. eye glasses, books, cell phone, electronics, etc.
- Volunteer at a nursing home.
- Donate supplies to an animal shelter.
- Pick up trash in a park or wherever I see it.
- Tell a loved one how much I love and appreciate them.
- Pamper my husband. (Buy him coffee, make him dinner, do his chores, etc.)
- Give a generous tip.
- Start recycling! (I should already do this, but I admit it, I don’t. Time to be kind to Mother Nature!)
- Send a care package to my nieces and nephews.
- Help someone who may be in need by offering up my place in line, holding open a door, helping with grocery bags, etc.
- Participate in a fundraiser.
- Email an old teacher about how they have inspired me and thank them for being awesome.
- Leave flowers on someone’s car. (So cool!)
- Plant a tree.
- Donate used books to the library or an organization that needs them.
- Make a memory box for a loved one.
I’m sure more ideas will come to me as I go along, but I’m excited to give this a whirl.
What are ways you have helped give back to others?